“BEWARE!! There’s a video out there promoting some dental plan with an AI version of me. I have nothing to do with it,” Hanks wrote in an Instagram post on Sunday.
Hanks’ post includes an image that appears to be an altered version of a 2013 photo taken by Jay L. Clendenin, a photographer for the Los Angeles Times.
HuffPost was unable to track down the video promoting the dental plan and did not immediately hear back from representatives for the actor on a request for further comment.
The “Toy Story” actor, who is set to be “de-aged” by an AI-fueled tool in the upcoming film “Here,” has previously spoken out about the use of AI in Hollywood.
During an appearance on “The Adam Buxton Podcast” in May, Hanks proclaimed that “anybody can now recreate themselves at any age” using AI or deep fake technology.
“I could be hit by a bus tomorrow and that’s it, but performances can go on and on and on and on,” he said.
“Outside the understanding of AI and deepfake, there’ll be nothing to tell you that it’s not me and me alone,” he continued. “And it’s going to have some degree of lifelike quality. That’s certainly an artistic challenge but it’s also a legal one.”
He also referred to discussions happening among guilds, agencies and legal firms to come up with the “legal ramifications” of an actor’s face and voice being their intellectual property. The use of AI in Hollywood is one of the fights at the center of the ongoing actors strike.
“Without a doubt people will be able to tell [that it’s AI], but the question is will they care? There are some people that won’t care, that won’t make that delineation,” Hanks said on the podcast.