The former NFL player who inspired 2009's 'The Blind Side' has been granted the termination of his conservatorship with Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy
The retired NFL star whose life inspired the Oscar-nominated film The Blind Side signed an agreement in 2004 when he was 18 years old that granted the Tuohy’s control of his finances. At the time, he was living with the family and playing high school football.
On Friday, Shelby County Probate Court Judge Kathleen Gomes said she was terminating the conservatorship, PEOPLE confirms.
In his petition, filed in August, Oher, 37, claimed the Tuohy family tricked him into making them his conservators, allegedly telling him there was no consequential difference between being adopted and entering into a conservatorship.
“Michael trusted the Tuohys and signed where they told him to sign,” the legal filing, obtained by PEOPLE, claimed. “What he signed, however, and unknown to Michael until after February 2023, were not adoption papers, or the equivalent of adoption papers.”
Gomes reportedly said she was disturbed that the Tuohys had been granted a conservatorship over Oher, per ESPN.
The outlet reported that Gomes said of the agreement, "I cannot believe it got done.”
She said that she had never seen a conservatorship agreement reached with someone who was not disabled in her career, according to the outlet.
A representative for the Tuohy family tells PEOPLE they do not intend to share a statement in response to the judge's decision. PEOPLE has also contacted representatives for Oher.
The 2004 filings obtained by PEOPLE say Leigh Anne and Sean Tuohy, now both 63, “have all powers of attorney to act on his behalf” and that Oher “shall not be allowed to enter into any contracts or bind himself without the direct approval of his conservators.”
Oher has also requested that the Tuohys provide a financial record of all funds that they’ve received as a result of the agreement, which allowed them to use his name, image and likeness. That portion of his case will continue, the judge said, per ESPN, and will not be dismissed. The Tuohys have claimed they have never entered into a contract on Oher's behalf.
Oher had alleged in the petition that the Tuohys, including Leigh Anne and Sean’s two children by birth, Collins Tuohy and Sean Tuohy Jr., all made money from the 2009 film The Blind Side, which was based on the 2006 book of the same name and centered around the Tuohy family taking Oher in and helping him both in school and in the classroom.
The former Baltimore Ravens player claimed that all four members of the family were paid $225,000 for the film plus 2.5% of the film’s proceeds. He later learned that he was the only member of the family not receiving royalty checks from the film, his attorney J. Gerard Stranch IV told ESPN.
The Tuohys have denied that claim, along with Alcon Entertainment, which produced The Blind Side. In a statement shared with PEOPLE last month, they said Oher and the four members of the Tuohy family were collectively paid approximately $767,000 in payments delivered through their talent agency for The Blind Side.
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
Earlier this month, Sean and Leigh Anne claimed in a filing that there was "never an intent to adopt" the former NFL player and that they “never signed any contract” on Oher’s behalf since his conservatorship began.
In a statement provided to PEOPLE in response, Oher’s lawyer, Don Barrett, wrote, “We look forward to Mike finally getting his day in court, where we are confident that the truth will prevail."
For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read the original article on People.