Serial killer nurse Lucy Letby is to face a retrial over an outstanding allegation that she attempted to murder a baby girl.
This follows Letby, 33, being sentenced in August to a whole life order for the murder of seven babies and attempting to kill six more on a neonatal ward at the Countess of Chester Hospital between June 2015 and June 2016. The verdict was delivered after a nine-month trial.
While she was found not guilty of two further counts of attempted murder, the jury at Manchester Crown Court was undecided on a further six counts of attempted murder.
Now, on Monday 25 September, the Crown Prosecution Service has reached its decision on whether it will conduct a retrial against the former nurse on any of the counts. Reportedly appearing at the court via video link from a conference room in HMP New Hall in Wakefield, West Yorkshire, Letby heard she will be facing a retrial over one count of attempted murder in February 2016, a baby girl, referred to for legal reasons as Child K.
A provisional date for the retrial at the same court has been given as 10 June 2024, and it is expected to last up to three weeks.
Prosecutor Nick Johnson KC also told Manchester Crown Court that prosecution wasn't pursuing a retrial on the other five outstanding allegations involving two baby girls and two baby boys.
Letby – who denied all offences on all charges and previously lodged an appeal against her convictions earlier this month – reportedly sat behind a desk and spoke only to confirm her name and that she could see and hear proceedings.
The former nurse is now listed as the worst serial killer of children in modern British history, with her whole life order sentence akin to the one handed to Sarah Everard's killer, Wayne Couzens.
Given her refusal to attend court for her sentencing last month, she escaped witnessing families sharing their victim impact statements, though judge Justice Goss said at the time he would request she be issued with copies of the statements.
You Might Also Like