Zacks Investment Ideas feature highlights: Gas Fund ETF, EQT, Cheniere Energy and Vital Energy
For Immediate Release
Chicago, IL – February 1, 2023 – Today, Zacks Investment Ideas feature highlights Gas Fund ETF UNG, EQT Corp. EQT, Cheniere Energy LNG and Vital Energy VTLE.
5 Reasons Natural Gas May Be Ready to Bounce
The Widow Maker
Natural Gas is often referred to by traders as the “Widow Maker” because of its hyper-volatility compared to other assets. Perhaps no time has been a better exhibit of the commodity’s wild swings than the past two years. The United States Natural Gas Fund ETF went from a low of $8.22 in the first quarter of 2021 to a high of $34.50 in August 2022.
What caused the run in Natural Gas prices and the subsequent round-trip?
· The War in Ukraine: Russia and Ukraine are some of the largest energy producers in the world. As Russian troops began to build up on the Ukrainian border in March of 2021, traders began to pile into Natural Gas. Since then, many suppliers outside of Russia and Ukraine have upped production.
· Inflationary Environment: 2022 was marked by inflation across most commodities as the U.S. Dollar rallied for most of the year. The U.S. Dollar has pulled back drastically from its 2020 highs.
· Weather Expectations: Many investors anticipated a frigid winter in Europe which never came to fruition.
Despite the Natural Gas living up to its nickname in recent months, there are some signs that the beaten-down commodity is potentially set for a multi-week rally, including:
1. Price is Moving into Long-Term Support: For most of 2020, UNG traded within a range of $8-$11. Price is now retesting this major support zone.
2. Extreme Oversold Levels: The Relative Strength Index (RSI) is a technical indicator that is used to analyze how overbought or oversold an instrument is. UNG’s RSI is at it’s second most oversold level in a year. The last time it was this oversold, UNG had a multi-week rally.
3. Hyper-extended: UNG is down six weeks in a row and more than 66% over the past two months. Since UNG is coming into a support zone, this would be a logical area for it to bounce.
4. Blowoff Volume: Last week, UNG saw its 3rd highest daily volume ever. Massive volume days tend to mark a potential trend reversal rather than a trend continuation.
5. Individual Stock Strength: Individual Natural Gas stocks such as EQT Corp., Cheniere Energy and Vital Energy are beginning to decouple from the underlying commodity and show relative strength – suggesting a short-term bottom may be around the corner.
Natural Gas is showing signs of entering a potentially attractive risk/reward zone. As is always the case with this industry, investors should be aware of the risk and volatility inherent in trading Natural Gas and Natural Gas-related stocks.
Why Haven’t You Looked at Zacks' Top Stocks?
Since 2000, our top stock-picking strategies have blown away the S&P's +6.2 average gain per year. Amazingly, they soared with average gains of +46.4%, +49.5% and +55.2% per year. Today you can access their live picks without cost or obligation.
See Stocks Free >>
Zacks Investment Research
800-767-3771 ext. 9339
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Inherent in any investment is the potential for loss. This material is being provided for informational purposes only and nothing herein constitutes investment, legal, accounting or tax advice, or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold a security. No recommendation or advice is being given as to whether any investment is suitable for a particular investor. It should not be assumed that any investments in securities, companies, sectors or markets identified and described were or will be profitable. All information is current as of the date of herein and is subject to change without notice. Any views or opinions expressed may not reflect those of the firm as a whole. Zacks Investment Research does not engage in investment banking, market making or asset management activities of any securities. These returns are from hypothetical portfolios consisting of stocks with Zacks Rank = 1 that were rebalanced monthly with zero transaction costs. These are not the returns of actual portfolios of stocks. The S&P 500 is an unmanaged index. Visit https://www.zacks.com/performance for information about the performance numbers displayed in this press release.
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
EQT Corporation (EQT) : Free Stock Analysis Report
Cheniere Energy, Inc. (LNG) : Free Stock Analysis Report
United States Natural Gas ETF (UNG): ETF Research Reports
Vital Energy, Inc. (VTLE) : Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.